Hey kids! I took a break from the League last week because I just couldn't think up a good "Back to School" post... but be sure to check out what all the other Leaguers had in mind when it came to the end of Summer, and hitting the books!
This week, our topic is:
So... introductions hmm? Well... here we go...
Hello! My name is The Goodwill Geek! My real name is Derek, but I prefer to use my nom de plume whenever possible when I'm online because I'm not currently "out" as a geek-who-blogs-obsessively-about-the-things-I-buy-at-Goodwill with anyone other than my wife and kids.
This is the face I use online for most things. I don't post a lot of pictures of myself or my family... except maybe around Halloween:
|I am truly blessed.|
When talking with my wife I go by "Hon," when talking with my kids, I go by "Dad" or "Daddy" depending on the kid... but when I'm blogging I am The Goodwill Geek all the way baby.
I started this blog a little over a year ago, and I wanted it to be a place where I displayed items I bought second-hand on the cheap that geeks would be into. Most of this involves Goodwill, but I've featured lots of other thrift stores, antique malls, and surplus/salvage stores in my journeys.
I live in Maine, which is pretty much a rural area with splatters of urban life randomly dotting the landscape. It makes it hard to collect the stuff I love "in the wild" sometimes... but boy is it "antique land" and randomly I find some pretty great stuff.
In the course of the last year blogging I've discovered a few things about myself:
1. I am now obsessed with Little Golden Books. This is not something I'm particularly proud of I guess... but I LOVE them.
|Out. Of. Hand.|
2. My Sesame Street and Muppet of obsession is growing out of control. The older the better. Books, toys, whatever.
|Ain't no party like a Sesame Street Party|
Cos' a Sesame Street Party's in bed by like... 7.
3. I get more of an adrenalin rush from finding an old toy from the 80's or 90's while I'm out shopping than any person has a right to be. Action figures, toy cars, Happy Meal toys, it doesn't matter.
|Chills. I get chills. Just look at them.|
I collect mostly for nostalgia. I collect things I used to own, or used to want to own. I collect things that take me back in time to when I had less commitments and less resting on my shoulders. I collect to keep myself sane. And it's probably unhealthy, and I probably need to get my priorities straight... and I probably need to stop using this blog to justify my childish behavior and finally grow up some day.
|Full grown adult and child.|
You decide which is which.
But at nearly 35 years old I don't see it happening any time soon. I've only been blogging for about a year now, and it's been a heady drug that gets my blood a-pumpin'. And along the way... I've met some great folks whom I like and respect very much. People who write their own blogs and have their own weird obsessions. They're my people. And they know my name. I don't need to introduce myself to them. This blog-o-sphere is a pretty nice neighborhood to move into. And... I like it here.
So, for those of you who really, honestly need an introduction... Hello. My name is the Goodwill Geek.
Let me introduce you to some of my friends in the League:
- Hello! My name is Hobgoblin239
- Hello! My name is Jathniel
- Hello! My name is The Trash Man
- Hello! My name is CRPechonick (Hey, Welcome to the League man!)
- Hello! My name is Erik Johnson (His artwork is to die for!)
- Hello! Our names are Lee and Linz
- Hello! My name is Charles
- Hello! My name is Laura (Thank you so much for jumping into the League this time around Laura! I hope you stick with it!)
- Hello! My name is William Christopher Joseph Mapp (Just call him Stunt Zombie)
- Hello! My name is Big J
- Hello! My name is MISS Michael
- Hello! My name is Kal or Calvin (I'm not sure which)
- Hello! My name is Kevin (He's either a Hellion or he's pretty Decent. You decide)
- Hello! My name is (Our fearless leader) Brian
- Hello! My name is Yelinna
- Hello! My name is Natural Blonde Killer (Another one I want to thank for jumping into the League pool this week! Stick with it! And all you other readers out there be sure to check out NBK's other awesome blogs too!)
- Hello! My name is Mike (The Sexy Geek!)
- Hello! My name is Cody
Well that's it for me kids! I'll be back soon with Geeky Goodwill Goodies! Until then, Happy Hunting!