Thursday, February 7, 2013

Payday Friday Week Continues: There's Always Books

I almost always come home with a pile of books from Goodwill, even when I come home with absolutely nothing else. This past Payday Friday was no different. There's always books. This trip was a little different though, in that there was an ABUNDANCE of geek-tacular books that set me a-drooling. It was like they had completely cleaned off the shelves and replaced everything with new stock. It wasn't all stuff I was interested, but it all looked different from times past visiting. 


First, I picked up a couple of books for my daughter. Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez and Red unicorn by Tanith Lee both looked like they were right up her alley. They cost me 1.99 apiece. My daughter's in that young adult reading phase where magic, romance, and adventure tell some sort of coming of age tale. 


The next two books aren't geeky, I just thought they looked interesting. Leaving Las Vegas is the book by John O'Brien that inspired the movie. Dog On Itis a mystery novel told from the point of view of a dog. I am a sucker for mystery novels with interesting hooks like that. I paid 1.99 cents for Leaving Las Vegas, and Dog On It was.99 cents. 


I'll admit I just picked this book up because it looked old and kitschy. It's not worth much, but it is an adaptation of an old Disney film about a horse living in the 1870's. I paid .99 cents for it.


This just looked fun. I have no idea if the software will work on my computer (fingers crossed) but the interior art gives enough templates to build a bunch of cool looking robot paper-craft toys. I paid 1.99 for it. 


Now I'm getting into the stuff that I was genuinely excited about. The Houdini Box by Brian Selznick looks very promising. A beautifully illustrated novella about a boy who meets Harry Houdini and receives a mysterious gift from the famous escape artist. I paid .99 cents for this one, and honestly cannot wait to read it. 


As an Edward Gorey Enthusiast I was really pleased to find this collection of postcards with Gorey's handiwork on them. This has got a nice selection of pictures from Gashly Crumb Tinies among many other works. I paid 1.99 for it. 


Some of my first posts on this blog were dedicated to Ray Bradbury. I finally found a copy of the Martian Chronicles this past Payday Friday for .99 cents. Putting this on the Geek Classics reading list for sure. I'm always happy to find a nice Bradbury at Goodwill. 


Moving into the eye-meltingly awesome category we have a copy of Marjane Sartrapi's graphic novel, Persepolis. I've been meaning to buy a copy of this for a long while now, and finding a really nice copy of it at Goodwill, for 1.99... (NO wait that's half off because it has a blue sticker!!!) made me leap for joy. It's ALWAYS awesome finding some cheap graphic content at Goodwill. 


And finally, another awesome find that had me squeeeee-ing for joy was this copy of Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf illustrated by Berni Wrightson. I PAID .99 CENTS FOR THIS AWESOME BOOK!!! I love Cycle of the Werewolf the movie "Silver Bullet", which was based on it. 

Between all these books, and the grab-bags I featured yesterday, and the Fisher-Price Little People toys I featured the day before that... AND the stuff I still have in reserve for tomorrow... You can understand why I was drunk with Goodwill greatness, can't you? 

So... if I have power tomorrow, I'll be back with more Payday Friday Goodwill Goodies. If I don't have power, I'll be back sometime this weekend. Until then, Happy Hunting!

1 comment:

  1. a friend of mine had that same copy of Cycle of the Werewolf. very jealous.

    I'm a little too old to be playing "Hardy Boys Meet Reverend Werewolf"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...