Saturday, August 11, 2012

Another Quick Stop

So a quick post today, detailing another quick stop I made at Goodwill a few weeks back.

I found a trio of books and that was about it... no toys... but the books do look interesting.

What. 
See 'em after the jump!

My apologies for the dressed-down nature of this post... but I forgot to get single pictures of these three books before I packed them away to move... so hopefully you can see all you need to see in this group shot:


So the three books I picked up in this quick stop are not super geeky at all, with one exception.

They are (oh I know what I'll do... I'll just crop them and tweak them for close-ups. WON'T BE AWKWARD AT ALL):


"Prozac Nation" by Elizabeth Wurtzel.
Not really sure why I picked this up, to be honest. It kept jumping out at me for about a week, and in fact there were two copies of it slithering their way around the book section that I just kept looking back at, over and over. Well, a quick stop is the perfect time to grab a book like that. This time, when it jumped out at me, it came home with me. Weird as it sounds, a memoir about depression and addiction can sometimes be exactly what the doctor ordered. Nothing else to say about this book. 1.99. 


"Trolls in the Hamptons" by Celia Jerome
So, this was yet another book that kept catching my eye, and it's really the only stand-out book in the "geeky" category. It's about a comic book artist who in an attempt to fight off creator's-block, invents a troll superhero. Well, said troll decides a life of fiction is just not enough, and it begins to appear in the nearby area, causing trouble. Apparently our artist is the only one who can see Mr. Troll, but she is not the only one aware of him, as some sort of pseudo-government agency equipped for just such weird happenings swings into action. It sounded fun, but I just wasn't feeling it (and I suspected this might be some sort of cheap harlequin romance novel dressed up as sci-fi/fantasy) until I saw that on that particular night that the tag on this book was the half-off color. So I got it for .50 cents. 


"Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk
Confession time: I have never seen this movie, and I have never read this book. I have friends who swear that Chuck Palahniuk absolutely walks on water and writes no wrongs. We'll see. After the book, I will then watch the film, and see if I'm as awed by it as everyone else has been. Of course, the BIG secret has already been spoiled for me... but I think it'll still be pretty good. 

So that was my quick stop from a few weeks back. Any day of the week, I can go into my local Goodwill and (probably) find at least one item that wants to come home with me. Keep your eyes peeled, and Happy Hunting! 

11 comments:

  1. Prozac Nation the movie had the first nude scenes from Christina Ricci.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... is that good or bad? Because at first I'm all: Mmmm... Ricci... then I'm all like hmmmm... Ricci? Then I'm all like: Is it hot nude? or is it crazy, unhealthy rehab nude? Because there is a difference. Don't let them tell you otherwise. Then I'm all like: How dare you infer that I even care about nudity in movies sir! What kind of a chauvinist do you take me for!? Then I'm like: I wonder how long the nudity lasts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well in this movie I say its a good thing. Its tastefully done and nonsexual ,not gross strung out Courtnay Love nude.Its about 50 seconds of her completely nude sitting down while her mom walks around her bedroom talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, good. And I love the term "gross strung out Courtnay Love nude" because THAT was exactly what I was afraid of.

      Delete
  4. Ok, so MOST of Chuck Palahniuk's books are freaking incredible. His last few were a little lackluster for me. Fight Club is AMAZING, and the movie is just as good. FYI you can borrow it anytime. Enjoy the book, I think you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thank you! It'll probably be a while on both though... at least until after the move. I'm still working my way through Martin's "A Feast For Crows" and I have no idea what I'm reading next yet.

      Delete
  5. Ooooo you really wanna read / watch Fight Club. Can't speak for the other two but Fight Club is awesome. I saw the movie and then read the book and bizarrely kind of liked it that way round. The movie's just a great watch but the book is a bit darker and goes into more graphic detail. Plus it has a better ending. Be interested to hear what you think when you do get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... maybe I'll try it your way Jon. I always like reading a book before the movie, but it's worked out fine the other way a couple of times before.

      Delete
  6. Oh and one other thing. One of those "You say potato" type transatlantic things. But what's a "Goodwill"? Don't think we have that here. Didn't realise I'd missed a double meaning to your blog name until I read a few posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh... What's a Goodwill?

      It is basically a national branded thrift store. So everything I'm blogging about here is second-hand stuff. I go picking through other people's cast-offs looking for geeky items for a good price. All of the stuff donated to Goodwill is sold, and the money is used to help fund various employment assistance programs. But it's basically a year-round, in-door yard sale that is constantly being replenished and is broken up like a department store.

      http://www.goodwill.org/

      Delete
    2. Ahhhhh. I do apologise. I completely managed to miss what a clever title and premise your blog has. Like I say "you say potato....." :-) Anyway, I'm on the same page now.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...