Monday, May 13, 2013

Action Figure Weekend!!!

I have mentioned Mardens on here before. It's a salvage and surplus chain store here in Maine that sells overstocked items and fire-damaged, flood-damaged, and even sasquatch-molestation-damaged goods. My wife wanted to go wander around there for a while on Mother's day after we took her out for breakfast.

While I was entertaining the boys over in the toy department, my wife found herself an iPod 4 case for 1 dollar. I found... these:


I loved these at first sight. I have no idea when or where they were originally released, but the concept behind these is some sort of alternate Earth version of the JLA called the Justice Guild. They feature some awesome, pulp-style versions of Black Canary (Black Siren), Green Lantern (Green Guardsman), Superman? (Tom Turbine), and The Flash (The Streak...?) I'm not a huge fan of the Streak figure, but I LOVE the concepts behind the other three, and I couldn't buy just three out of the four. Checking their wikipedia page, these guys are from the cartoon show, and were not what they initially appeared to be. 


Next up a set of four members of the Marvel family... all carefully packaged to omit the "Marvel" title. Black Adam, Mary Batson, Shazam, and the Wizard. I love the wacky wild concepts behind the Marvel family stories. The magic and mayhem of the characters and their villains are excellent. Plus, having gone on a recent Batman: Brave and the Bold marathon on Netflix, I've gotten a huge does of Shazam!!! My favorites are Black Adam and Mary Marvel, though Captain Marvel's no slouch, and I love that they made a Wizard figure at all, even though he's not that exciting. 

I've got close-up images of all the single figures below. I'm hanging these up on my wall in the package because they just look incredible together. If anyone really wants a set of these, let me know and maybe we can work out a sale or trade if you can't find them around your area. They also have a set of four members of the Legion of Superheroes (Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, and Braniac 5) but I'm just not interested in those characters, so I didn't buy any for myself. 










That's it for tonight folks! These figures weren't from Goodwill, but they were a steal. I'll be back soon with more Geeky Goodwill Goodies! Until then, Happy Hunting!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome score! These were all MattyCollector exclusives if am correct but I would have to do some research on it to be sure so I might be wrong. On the Cartoon there was a Catman character as well who was supposed to be Batman/Wildcat I think but I don't know if there was a figure of him made or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, just the four in this set. I would have preferred that Catman character to the Streak. They show a picture of him on the back of the box. There is a big MattyCollector emblem on the back of all 8 of these packages. I wondered if they didn't sell so MattyCollector dumped the stock somehow into stores like Big Lots and Mardens.

      Delete
    2. I love that Tom Turbine myself but I would take all of them in a heart beat if I every found them my way and on the cheap along with that Captain Marvel too. How much did all of these cost if I can ask?

      Delete
    3. Oh I can't believe I forgot to post prices! I'll go back in and do an edit later... Each figure was 1.99! So I got the two sets for 16 total. Someone e-mailed me earlier to pick up a set of the Marvel Family figures for them, and after I picked those up there was only one more available set of them but without Black Adam. I picked those up. There seem to be plenty of the Legion and Guild figures, so if anyone is interested....

      Delete
    4. Would it be possible for you to get me a Tom Turbine and a Captain Marvel? If they are still available? If not no worries and I don't normally buy these type of figures but I really like those two characters. Let me know and if you like you can just email me about it at Jboypacman@gmail.com.

      Delete
  2. really, such an awesome score.

    these were available exclusively through the MattyCollector site a few years back. there's also a villains of Gotham set [w/ Bane, Clock King, Harley Quinn and Scarecrow], the Doom Patrol and a couple of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I wish those othrr sets had been there!

      Delete
  3. Is there a big Sasquatch problem in Maine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, not as bad as the chupacabra problem. Since science has proven that Moose are just over-grown goats, the chupacabras are just coming out our butts up here.

      But the occasional sasquatch still wanders into a retail establishment from time to time and just goes ape-s**t. This creates plenty of stock for Mardens.

      Delete
  4. Holey Moley! Yeah, these were all Matty exclusives - GREAT SCORE! I need to check my local Big Lots to see if they too get these. I'd love to have the Marvel family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric my man, you know I take care of my peeps.

      Delete
  5. I was never interested in these figures because the lack of articulation that I so love on MU figures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...