Summer’s over, it’s time to go back to school! (Interpret it as you will.)
Then I thought... hmmm... it's been a long time since I've gone to school. If I were to go to school nowadays, WHO would I like my teaching faculty to be comprised of?
|Gravedale High fanart by Makinita on Deviantart|
See my staff after the jump!
So, here's my fantasy draft of teachers for my dream school:
1. Principal. Any school needs a kick-ass Principal to keep the school afloat, and Fantasy High (I'm still working on the name...) is no exception. This one seemed really easy at first, but I didn't want to pull Dumbledore or Professor X out of the hat and use up my Harry Potter and X-Men slots right away. So my choice for principal would be:
2. Science. A science teacher needs to be passionate about the topic, and passionate about relating the subject matter to people who may not "get it" the way he or she does. For this reason I would pick the bombastic:
|Dr. Henry McCoy|
3. Math. Even more than science, math gets students glaze-eyed and head-scratched. It needs someone who understands it inside and out... so I pick:
4. Language Arts. Well, a reading/writing teacher needs to have passion too. Again, language arts can leave students glazed and dazed. So I pick:
Professor Keating. With a real vivacious passion for words, reading, poetry, and waking young people up to these concepts, Keating is the very best. Plus I need him around to keep Will Hunting in line.
5. Gym. This category needs to be mastered by someone who knows how to unlock the secret potentials hidden deep inside each and every student. So... I came to a tie.
6. History. The only history teacher I could find online who kicks so much as that history becomes a living, breathing, death-defying adventure is...
|Indy was the dog.|
Professor Jones. Can you argue with this? Can you? Is there a better guy to teach you the history of everything? I don't think so.
8. Transfiguration. This was a hard one. I mean, tranfiguration has to be ten times harder than any of the above topics... and finding a really talented teacher in this field in FICTION is even harder, but after some deep digging on the internets, I found a teacher that I would have preferred to have teach me Transfiguration (what was your Transfiguration teacher like?) when I was in high school:
McGonagall turns out to be one badass of a teacher, and fiercely loyal to her headmaster, students, and school. She goes all mama-bear on the bad guys and leaves a lasting influence on her student body.
I see a lot of lists online of favorite fictional teachers, so I'll spare you the Music Teacher from School of Rock, or the Economics teacher from Ferris Bueller. Dumbledore and Professor X show up on most of those lists too, so I just don't want to to go there.
Instead, I'll just finish up with the bus driver and leave you to your internet browsing:
Other members of the League took different approaches to interpreting this week assignment:
- ShezCrafti talks about a song that brings back school-related memories (and TMNT)
- Reis, our Lord of the Lair of Dork Horde, discusses his Return of the Jedi school days.
- Hobgoblin, over at Monster Cafe... went personal... and musical.
- Michael over at Memories of Toymorrow, shares a painful back to school truth that has haunted him his entire life.
- Brother Midnight from Green Plastic Squirt Gun shows us every lunchbox he had... ever.
- Jamie waxes poetic about buying school supplies in Whatever I Think Of