Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Another Goodwill Grab-Bag

So I'm back on the Goodwill Grab-Bags. Today I wanted to share some small items that came out of a particularly large bag of stuff that I bought a while back. I'm going to show you the five toys that I ended up keeping, and I won't go into great detail into the other items that I didn't keep, such as plastic kittens, Barbie shoes, broken Hotwheels cars, and a few other items I don't even remember. What I do remember is seeing a Happy Meal Muppet Babies Kermit, and deciding on that one toy alone that I would pay the 1.99 for the entire bag. I flipped and poked and looked some more and saw some other exciting toys inside, so there was no way I was leaving that store without that grab bag. 

1987 Happy Meal Muppet Baby Kermit
What else was in the bag? Let's explore together, after the jump!

I will remind all of you reading this of my passion for all things Muppet/Henson. Muppet Babies was one of my favorite cartoon shows as a kid, and I owned a bunch of these McDonald's Happy Meal toys. So, seeing this little guy was enough to clinch the deal all on his own. But once I really got looking I found:


Weeble Woman 1973
A vintage Weeble! I never owned a single Weeble as a child, but I love the look of them, and think they look great alongside classic toys like vintage Little People. If I ever find any mor eof these in the wild, I'll be sure to snap them up. This little lady is holding a little bouquet of flowers.

Energizer Bunny
I have this Energizer Bunny packed away right now, so I can't remember the year printed on the bottom of this figurine. I THINK it was 1995 or '6. Not really sure. I can't find a dated one online anywhere. But I love that I now own a tiny plastic Energizer bunny. I am such a huge fan of advertising mascots. I don't even care that I'm being manipulated into loving them by Mad Men ad execs.

Spell the Tinosaur 1986
Another vintage Happy Meal toy! This one is Spell the Nasty Grumpy, from the Tinosaurs line. I have no idea where these characters come from, but I remember having at least five or six of this set when I was younger as well. I can't find a back-story to the characters except to tell you there are dinosaurs, elves, time travelers, and some other weird characters involved. I took away all this from just the names of the characters. If anyone can find out more than that for me, I'd really like to know the story behind these characters.

Grover 1986
Sesame Street. See above about Muppets/Henson items. Grover's face here is almost completely obliterated, and there are a ton of chips in the (probably solid lead) paint... but this toy is still adorable. Grover used to be the powerhouse for Sesame Street that Elmo has become today. There were very few toys put out for Sesame Street that didn't involve him in some fashion.


So there you have it! Had there not been a single other toy in this bag besides these five, I would still have plunked down 1.99. As it was, I gave some toy cars to my son, and tossed some plastic army men in with the ever-growing pile, re-donated some plastic kittens and things I had no use for, and STILL ended up with the five toys above. I love a good Goodwill Grab-Bag. 

I'll be back soon with some more Goodwill Goodies, so until then, happy hunting!

4 comments:

  1. :) Weebles wobble but they dont fall down!! I agree well worth 1.99!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm getting to the point where I just love finding old toys. Weebles are pretty cute.

      Delete
  2. I loved those grabbags when I lived in the states. Awesome! Am hearing the Muppet Babies theme right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a catchy song, right? Like an old 50's doo-wop hit.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...